Avatar takes a lot of flak online. For each person that loved the movie it feels like there are 20 who are online bashing it. But don’t fret, I’ll show you how Avatar just keeps winning.
- First and foremost it is the #1 one grossing movie all time and it’s not even close. Titanic which is number two is right at 601 million behind. How big is that gap between #1 and #2 in the movie world, it’s the entire gross of Iron Man, plus 16 more million dollars.
- It is the #2 grossing domestic (U.S.) movie of all time. It had a nice 6 year run at number one but ultimately The Force Awakens took that spot. Even though Avatar is behind The Force Awakens by 176 million domestically, it still finished a whopping 720 million ahead when worldwide totals are included.
- It is #2 all time in Blu Ray sales. For all the internet chatter that says people only enjoyed Avatar in 3D at the theater, that simply isn’t true. Frozen is the only movie to have sold more Blu Ray copies.
- The Cirque du Soleil show Toruk-The First Flight based on Avatar, and a fantastic addition to the franchise made it to the Guinness Book of World records for being the #1 grossing circus touring performance show of 2017. This showed Avatar can expand to other quality entertainment avenues and still connect with people just as the movie did.
- Disney spent an estimated $500,000,000 dollars on an Avatar land expansion in Animal Kingdom called Pandora-The World of Avatar. The Avatar haters were in full force when this project was revealed, and it continued all they way up to the point that this land opened and was a stunningly huge success. The land includes Flight of Passage which has been called the best ride in all of Disney.
Avatar doesn’t just do well, Avatar comes in #1 or #2 in almost every measurable category. While it is a popular franchise to attack online I believe this is only because of the unprecedented success of the film. We are still 2 years away from the first sequel and I don’t have a solid prediction yet for if Avatar 2 can dethrone Avatar from that #1 worldwide spot, but the fact that I even think it stands a chance at this stage just shows the power and connection of the franchise to people.